Saturday, January 18, 2014

Upma Paduthum Paadu

Arisi Upma, that is..I make rava upma rarely these days, as somehow this wrong notion has gotten on to myhead that arisi upma or dhalia/wheat upma is better(for health,that is) than the rava one. 

Though the recipe for arisi upma is simple and can be made comparatively quickly too, the right way to prepare the same in order to get the final "udhir-udhiraa" upma is somehow dodging me..The main part which I'm not able to master is how long should I allow the upma in the cooker, ie, how many whistles should I wait before I sim it and turn it off. Today, it was worse : It went like this: Keep the stove in sim from the beginning (thinking I will switch off as soon as first whistle comes), then, when there was no sign of a proper whistle , I turned the flame higher, only to put things in the fridge and put in sim and then go and catch a quick glance at the clock and come back to put the stove in higher flame and this drama continued for some time until I realised enough is enough and bravely switched it off .. 

When I first made this upma, it came out as proper sadam (I had not grind it properly), next time, it had clumps (because I had not seived the ground rice+dhal+pepper+jeera), third time, it came out as koozhu (probably watre was too much), then it got adi pudichified, then, dry ...ah..let me stop here..Today, I think it came out a little better though I was not too satisfied, but the udhir-udhir types was seen , but a bit dry..

Arisi Upma, you better turn out well next time onwards Ok?

4 comments:

  1. Haa haa.. First time here through Blogathon and got treated with arisi upma :-) I make it quite rarely as my hubby is not fond of it. I guess the trick might be with the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome here :) ,Gayathri..Could be, the water could do the trick..will update once I get it right :) ..My husband doesnt like the Semiya Upma too much, but I made it this morning, out of no option (need to stock up the instant mixes)

      Delete
  2. I read the recipe in Maya's blog. Check it out :-)

    ReplyDelete