Friday, January 3, 2014

How were you 2013?

Dear 2013 ,

 Hope you are now taking good rest and browsing/reading through all your report cards from many of us around the world. Even if you dont receive a report card from the rest, please make sure to rewind, introspect what you had done and better give 2014 a sound advice and you need to guide 2014 to not commit the same mistakes that you are your fore-fathers committed. And for all the nice, happy stuff that you have done, please make sure to tell 2014 to double them up. Ok?

You saw us drag the selling of our house and eventually sold it off and we booked a flat in your year. You also saw us move into an apartment and you saw me adjust to living with less privacy than before. Thanks to you, I seem to have adjusted to it decently. You also made us explore the city to quarters that we have not ventured out, especially when it comes to searching a home for us to move in and Thanks to you for providing us an opportunity to live in a residential neighborhood with close proximity to day to day needs.

Job wise, it was a mixed bag. Thanks to you for moving me out of a project that was occupying most of the time that I was awake. You gave me opportunity to interact with seniors and long-timers in the organisation and improve my so called visibility. But, I didn't use it properly cos you put me into a difficult situation of having to decide between job and home. Nevertheless, Thanks for the opportunity given and please provide many such opportunities in the future and help me to make the use of it. A promotion was on the cards, but never happened. It would have been a good recognition if you had provided me one and that would have boosted my morale. You delayed the yearly hike and when it came, it was meagre. This again put me down and made me ponder if there is any use at all to the hard work. Instead may be I should have taken it not-so-seriously and taken care of my personal life.

Health wise, I undertook ayurvedic treatments for 5 months only to have no visible result in the end. Wasted a few months with a Dr who was trying a medication on me. Wish I had the good sense not to get into this one. Exercise was at an all time low and first half of the year I went on to make sure I didnt consume too much of junk food, but later part of the year saw me gorge on anything and everything.

Mental health wise, gosh, 2013, I went into a depression for a few months, those months were pathetic, with no interest in any damn thing, neither did I want to go to office nor be at home. Neither did I feel like going out nor eating. This phase showed visible deterioration in health and I looked literally sick and pathetic to look at myself in the mirror. I understood what real depression means and realised probably this is what drives people to take extreme  decisions in life. Please 2013, ask all of your forthcoming generations to NOT put me into this situation ever. EVER! Ok? I did come out of it , but it was so damn difficult and find that my solace is in spirituality and holding on to the Supreme Power stronger than before.

Spiritually, Thankfully, you gave us the opportunity to visit our Kula Theivam temple after more than 2 years. Dear Sai Baba, from a non-believer (I hate to say this), I moved in to your fold. Please accept me and please dont let go of me. I happened to get to know more about the miracles and wonders by HHMaha Periyavaa  and became his devotee (If I may call myself that, though I dont know if I'm fit enough to call myself thus). Following a few rituals which I believed in helped me tide through the rough patches in 2013 , but there were many moments, where I doubted the existence of any Supreme Power . I went searching for what to hold on to and finally kept coming back to God.

Family: Sister joined post-grad and she moved from home to stay in hostel. So, both of us having flown the nest, Amma and Appa found it a bit difficult and kept calling us to visit every now and then. I made few visits this years compared to the past , but went on a longer duration than before. But, time is never enough when you visit parents and I seem to get more home-sick these days more than I ever felt at college. Sigh! I would like to think S and I fought less this year , though I'm not sure if S would agree to this. Rather I should say, I reconciled soon after a fight or argument and made peace :):) Relationship with MIL did not improve to a great extent, but nevertheless, I have come to accept the way she is and am training myself to ignore those that I dont like and not to judge . Long to way, but still, attempting..

Food : I cooked more than the previous years during the weekends ,attempted to be better than previous years, not too many new restaurants were tried, (a separate post on this), we kept going back to Rajdhani if we craved for North Indian fare. Otherwise, kept visiting the places where we have tried and tested to satisfy the sudden craving every now and then.

I lost a dear family friend who joined our family to look after my fathers mother. she jelled with our family too quickly and was so sweet a lady who was always smiling and had a cheerful disposition all the time. Her thoughts continue to linger in our minds and I hope she comes back as my daughter. Anandhi aaaya, you are loved and please do come back as my daughter to be with us.

2013, I wished you blessed me with a child , nevertheless, please do guide make sure 2014 showers us this Blessing , ok?

Bye 2013, Welcome 2014. Here's to good health, peace and happiness for one and all.

4 comments:

  1. Visit to rajdhani is one thing I always look forward to :-) Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SM

    Happy New Year!!

    I hope 2014 gives you all that you desire!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Sri, Thank you Dear and wish you a wonderful 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momsince27, Welcome here :) Thank you and wish you a Happy new year too ! Yeah, Rajhani I think is good value for money if you want to have north Indian fare.Though its Gujju/Rajasthani food, it can very well pass on for North Indian too, me thinks

    ReplyDelete