Saturday, February 22, 2014

Chocolat : Book Review

I bought this book from Blossoms based on TGND's recommendation. When I started to read this one a couple of months back, it did not hold my interest after a few pages and at that point, I wasn't sure if I would pick it up later at all. Little did I know that I would pick it up again in just a few months down the line and would actually find it to be a simple chocolaty read and also realize that nosy/gossipy people do exist in western communities too.


This book by Joanne Harris is about a single mother and her daughter who decide to set up a chocolate bakery/cafe in a small town in France. Apparently, they land up in the town and start their business during the Lent period (during the Easter season). This  irks the church and the believers,especially the pastor. So, the town kind of gets divided into supporters of the bakery and non-supporters. During this time, the protagonist arranges for a chocolate festival on the Easter Sunday and the book takes you through the different kinds of people that the protagonist comes across, how they go through their life, how she faces trials and resistance with  courage and builds her inner strength and more importantly how she makes it a point to make her customers feel at home at her cafe and tries to become one among them.The reader is treated to good amount of chocolaty treats that makes one drool and you will grab a chocolate near you for sure as you read the book. Overall, a good chocolaty simple read.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the book!

    You should also read the other parts of the Chocolat series. They're awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation,TGND. Sure, I will pick the other books in this series too !

      Delete
  2. Have you seen the movie? I haven't read the book, but I really liked the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Havent watched the movie, will do when I get a chance.:)

      Delete